Friday, October 15, 2010

Interview: Slipshod of the PeaceKeepers


Recently teen-heartthrob Slipshod sat down with FOX News' Bill O'Reilly as part of the PeaceKeeper's "Move to Metropolis" campaign. The youngest-always-playful member of the PeaceKeepers answered questions on a variety of subjects.



1. So, how was it you came to be a member of the Peacekeepers?
Well, it kinda fell into my lap, really!  Or, I guess I fell into theirs.  I was chasing down a criminal when I happened to stumble upon one of the Peacekeepers' members, Gray Wolf, in need of my help!  ...  Okay, so maybe it was more like I chased my guy straight into a huge bust she was about to make and totally tanked it for her.  Not my fault!  Anyway, we sorta teamed up to get our respective crooks off the streets, and to make a long story short, she totally saw potential in me!  But I'm, like, a lone wolf, right?  So I bolted!  Not too long after that, I'd heard that the PKs were having some pretty critical problems with some kinda dimensional thingy, and figured I'd owed it to them to lend a hand, if I could.  After that, I just kind of stuck around, and no one's said anything.  But I'm pretty sure I'm an official member.  I think.


2. What's the location of the Peacekeepers new base of operations in Metropolis? or is it a closely guarded secret?
Wait, we've moved?  How come no one told--... I mean, er, it's very hush-hush.  Can't have those criminals knowing where we're at, right?  Yeah, that's it.


3. Your Peacekeeper Bio claims you have healing powers, care to expound on that?
Sure!  I've got a limited ability to regenerate wounds I sustain.  The real kicker, though, is that every time I have to heal myself, I grow stronger!  Of course, when you're fighting crime, the idea is to NOT get hurt, so it's kind of counter-productive.  But I let the bad guys get a few good licks in every now and then, if I think I'm starting to get a gut or something.  Wait, did they really show you my bio?  What did it say?  Was there anything bad in it?


4. Would you ever take the life of one of your enemies?
Absolutely not.  Not my place to be doing stuff like that, and I'd have to bring down any other "hero" that thought he had the right to.


5. Did you ever have a career as a solo hero?
Yup!  Back in a city called New Vista, I was pretty well known!  Well, I mean, I had my name in the papers.  Once. 


6. Its been said that superheroes are the "new celebrity elite" and while much of the public is enamored with your larger-than-life personas, some view you as Gods or Angels, whats your response to that line of thinking?
That's pretty weird, don't you think?  I mean, I know it seems like we're so awesome, but we're just regular people, like you guys.  Our problems are just a little different.  I think a lot of us would trade our lives for a non-superhero's any day.  Not me, though, 'cause it's so flippin' fun!  But there's gotta be some lame-o out there that would.


7. The public is enamored with superheroes, How was it you gained your super-abilities? were you born with them, are you a mutant? or were you bitten by a radioactive spider or something?
Radioactive spider?  That sounds ridiculous.  No, I was born with them.  I was in a coma as a kid, but my powers kicked in at some point and popped me out of it.  At least, that's what the doctors said.  I guess it's entirely possible that someone experimented on me when I was asleep, or something.  That'd be cool, like I were the center of some vast conspiracy!  And that my whole life up to this point has been just some sick, twisted game played by a punch of scientists!  But my life's been too boring for that, so yeah, I'm going with "born with them." 


8. What's the ultimate goal of the Peacekeepers?
We don't want to just go out and beat the crap out of the bad guys, we want to make people feel safe to actually live their lives and feel hopeful that a better future exists.  Not just short-team peace, but the kind of long-lasting stuff that people have dreamed of for a long time.  I know it sounds corny, but that's what I believe we're working towards.


9. Are you Slipshod all the time, or do you lead the life of a civilian as well?
Well, I have to be me every now and then, right?  A friend taught me that!


10. How does a person manage balancing a "real life" with that of a superhero?
That's something I'm still struggling with.  If you get too wrapped up in the life of crime-fighting, you start to lose perspective on why you're doing it in the first place.  Sometimes you just have to "switch off" that side of yourself and enjoy what life has to offer.  But like I said, it's tough to do that, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.  I guess, you just do your best, and hope your civilian life and your hero life don't clash too much.


11. What motivated you to lead the life of a super-powered hero?
Uh, because I've got super powers?  I mean, that's like asking someone who's really good at math why they decided to be a math teacher!  ... Oh, you meant, like, personal reasons!  Right, duh, I knew that.  Well, I can't get too specific, 'cause I'd be putting people in danger, but I'll just say that there are people I really care about, out there, and I want to show them that I'm capable of doing a lot of good in the world.  I just have to hope they'll realize that...


12. How can members of the public contact the Peacekeepers with leads on criminal activity?
Well, it'd probably be really dangerous to be seen with us, so I'd suggest just contacting the police.  We've got friends on the force and if something needs our attention, we'll hear about it!  If you absolutely, positively are in so much trouble that you need to speak to us personally, then odds are, we'll find you!  Hehe!


14. You've obviously come to Metropolis to put away some of the superpowered criminals here. Are there any criminal organizations the public needs to be on the lookout for?
Well, everyone knows all the main ones, so it's the lesser-known guys you need to watch out for.  There's a particular insidious little gang by the name of the Black Bullets that I've started to see on the streets.  Evidently, they used to be pretty prevalent some years back, but some shadowy dude took them out, from what I understand.  But now they're back, so people should just be wary of them, I'm not too sure what they might be up to!


15. Many critics have said that masked superheroes shouldn't have police powers, whats your response?
Hey, I've got nothing but respect for the cops of this city!  But I think that, while they've certainly got a place in the grand scheme of law enforcement for the city, we superheroes have our own niche to handle!  Just 'cause we're out there doing our thing, doesn't diminish what they do.  I just think there are some things we're better equipped to handle!


16. Reports have shown that a new generation of individuals with super abilities have appeared in larger numbers than ever before, how does this make you feel as a Veteran superhero? Does it concern you that many of these "newere-breed" may be undisciplined?
Hey, it wasn't too long ago that I was one of those undisciplined upstarts!  Um, some might even say I still am...  Still, I say, as long as they know what the stakes are and what's expected of them, the more the merrier!  We can use all the help we can get!


17. What's your opinion on the numerous unsanctioned superpowered vigilantes? particularly those who take the law into their hands with lethal force?
Like I said, anyone that thinks they're upholding the law by taking those kinds of drastic measures won't do it for long before they find themselves at the business end of my Sliprod!  ...  Why are you giggling?  That's the name of my staff.  What's so funny?


18. With years as a superhero, what are some of your biggest regrets?
Forgetting my middle name due to amnesia.  Um, that time I accidentally punched that old lady 'cause I thought she was a mummy.  Oh, and not being able to fly!  That one sucks.


19. Have the Peacekeepers left New Troy for good?
You kidding?  We're expanding, baby!  We got so many powerful guys and girls, now, we could easily protect the entire world!  Maybe even set up other sister groups!  Maybe I'll even get to run one of them!  And I can be all dark and mysterious to the new recruits, and it'll be super sweet. 


20. Many superheroes started out as smaller, lesser known heroes and then evolved to their better-known elite selves, does this apply to you or were you always Slipshod?
Back before I went solo, I was with a group called Tempered Steel.  At the time I was the, ahem, sidekick to one of their members.  Her name was Silk Dove, and back then, they called me Gossamer.  I didn't pick the name, and I swear, if you saw the suit they made me wear, you'd know why I struck out on my own.


21. You look pretty young, and someone mentioned you were the youngest on the team.  How does that feel? 
It's been a little odd, sometimes.  I mean, not only am I the new kid on the block since I just joined, but I'm, like, LITERALLY the new kid on the block.  Sometimes I think the others might not trust my judgment too much, but I'm doing my best to prove that I've got just as much to bring to the table!  But other than that, it's been great learning from everyone else!  I'm choosing to make the most of my time with the Peacekeepers to just absorb as much knowledge as I can.  Not that I think they're going to kick me off the team and I'll be alone, again.  They wouldn't do that, right?

22. Known supervillians like Braniac and Lex Luthor have known strongholds in Metropolis, is it your duty as a Peacekeeper to address threats like these?
Sure!  I never pass up the opportunity to break into a villain's hideout, dodge all his numerous traps, get captured and be put in a slowly operating, elaborate death machine that I inevitably escape out of just in time to bring the creep to justice!  I mean, I've never done it in real life, but that's how it works in the movies, so I'm guessing that's what they'd have in store for me.


23. What's your relationship with the JLA?
Don't tell anyone, but I hear Overdrive and one of their members aren't really on speaking terms.  Something about a half-eaten box of Chocos, but you didn't hear it from me.


24. Is Gotham's Arkham Asylum a place for the criminally insane or is that just a fancy name for a prison?
Honestly, is there a difference?  You gotta be a little crazy to be a criminal. 

4 comments:

  1. we can build characters like the teen titans? good! rofl @ the o'reilly factor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good interview. how long have the peacekeepers been together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do we join the peacekeepers? whats their website?

    ReplyDelete