Wednesday, October 13, 2010

User Interview: Ultima of the Teen League



In our first user-interview, we sat down with the young man behind the hero Ultima and discussed all things DCUO.

"The number one strength in the game has to be that they are working with DC to help produce the game. This gives them access to place things in this game that other games and MMO's aren't able to reach or get to. And of course, over time, this will add and be more awesome. It's like one big movie and I'm playing the part of my own hero via the game."
--Ultima



Ultima is the leader of a Teen Hero Team, that's different. what helped you make that decision?
I, myself, am a teen, and that made my decision really easy. It also helped that I enjoy other teen heroes like the current Blue Beetle, Superboy, and Robin. Taking some characteristics from those heroes for my own. Plus, my interest of the Teen Titan series sparked my interest furthermore, which made the team part easy as well, and that there was a lot of teams but not a whole lot of teen groups.

What's your previous Superhero MMO experience?
I don't really play other Superhero MMO games, but I played City of Heroes for a short while.

Were you influenced at all by comics and tabletop RPGs?
There was no influence by any paper and pen RPGs. I never really those type of games. But, I can say this about the comics influence. I was very interested, TV wise, with DC heroes and the various stories that were being portrayed in the shows and movies currently being played. This sparked my main interest with Superhero MMO's a whole lot, after, of course, knowing about the game and being hooked to it right away.

Is DCUO the realization of a long-time dream for many hardcore fans of Comics and RPGs?
I believe DCUO is a perfect harmony for fans of both. I like RPG's a whole lot, but I never really read a comic book until recently. The RPG side says that this game is great all around and can compete with games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars, due to it's plot, graphics, and gameplay. However, the comic side will have their jaws dropped and awe over the fact that they are working with Batman or Superman, or any other known hero. For me, I'll be doing both the oohing and the playing once I get in the game.

What made you pick "The Good Guys"?
Why I picked "The Good Guys"? The answer is simple: it's all about one's morality. I'm a good person, and any person around me would probably say something similar. In other MMO's I play the bad guy archetype because it offers me something totally different in terms of gameplay. But, this isn't like any other game, I can't be a villain and play along side Batman, the game pairs heroes with heroes and villains with villains. One of the few reasons why I chose to play a hero in the first place.

Are you a PC or PS3 player? What are some of the differences between each?
PC all the way. It's something I'm used to and familiar with. The PC will offer easier ways to do things since there'll be certain keys and buttons to press for combat and travel and other actions included in the game. With the PS3, the buttons will just be more difficult to work with and to get adjusted to in the long run.

Does the Teen League have a website? What's the address?
Currently, no. That's something I'm currently working on for The Teen League.

Why select a Hero versus a Vigilante or Villain?
The only reason why I chose a hero versus a villain is that most stories involve around a hero rather than a villain. It was the first thing I thought of when creating a character for the game.

How were you introduced to DCUO?
I was introduced DCUO by myself. I was at home flipping through the TV On Demand channels, and I looked through the G4TV videos and I saw something on the game, it was an interview. I got interested with it at first glance and I knew that it was the game for me.

What other superhero MMOs are you a veteran of?
I haven't really played any superhero MMO's in full length to really be considered be a veteran of that genre, but if you considered any Facebook game, then i've played Hero World.

Let's say DCUO introduced Guild Wars/Matches (where teams of "supers" could organize and battle each other) in the coming months? would it be a Good or Bad thing?
It would be, in my opinion, a good thing, if not, a wonderful thing. It would be a great team-building exercise as a whole and talk about fun! I know I'd love something like that.

If you could take down one DCUO NPC Villain, who would it be?
I would go with the Riddler. He's every part mentally demanding that you can get. I'm not sure if he'll make a physical show in the game, but if he does, I'll beat him down in an instant.

Which player-controlled evil-doer would you put behind bars?
A question I did not anticipate or will know the answer to. You see, I'm not sure who's making a villain and who isn't. Right now, the heroes outnumber the villains greatly.

What are the three things DCUO can implement to keep you as a long-time player?
Number one: Constant Updates and glitch-fixes. Number two: New Heroes and Villains. Finally, number three: New Instances within the game.

In the same vein, what three things can guarantee you won't be around long?
Number one: annoying noobs that get onto the game. Number two: Hard content on the game. Number three: boredom or absolute familiarity within the game.

If you could have one dream game feature, what would it be?
That's a difficult question. My dream game feature will have to be hero or villain development. I want to personally make a story for my own hero that's off the beaten path of the story of the game.

What other game elements are a MUST in DCUO?
Character interaction. We can't stay be silent for a long time and the game is going to force us to be our hero not our player self. Another element that's a must in the game will have to be your character's origin story, and your character's characterization. I want to know how personality is involved in the game, whether that will influence your character's story slightly or not in terms of characterization.

What unconfirmed new DCUO content would you like to see?
New expansions and unreleased heroes always make me excited. More of that and I'd be like a kid on Christmas Day. There is always promotional tie-ins from movies, shows, and comic books. If there is quests related to all of that, I'd be doing that right away and quickly.

If there was one change you could make to DCUO in its current form, what would it be?
I would add several more heroes and villains into the game and add more locations relevant to the world of DC.


In your opinion, what is DCUO's greatest strength?
Their number one strength in the game has to be that they are working with DC to help produce the game. This gives them access to place things in this game that other games and other MMO's are lacking in this area. And of course, over time, there will be awesome updates. It's like one big movie and I'm playing the part of my own hero via the game.


What weakness hurts DCUO the most?
Of course, pushing the release date. They said they would release it on November 2nd, but they've pushed it to early next year. Although it'll give them more time to place all the necessary additions to the game, it'll really make some people more frustrated and that more anxious to get their hands on the game. There is, also, the fact that they've included a subscription to the game. It's a big drawback for many players. If a game is big enough player-wise, then there should be no way that there'll be subscription fees. 

What are you on the lookout for in the Beta? How important is BETA Feedback?
Definitely the consistency with the plot-line and any secret things that are placed in the game to find.

We recently suggested how much Spatial Chat adds to online gaming ( http://tinyurl.com/27qpep6 ) what's your opinion?
Chat is of course very important. Right now, the game is going to use voice chat as a way to do chat. I think that Spatial Chat can add a certain touch to the game. However, something like that, chat-wise, will or may be difficult to read with the input of people coming onto the game.

With anti-heroes of questionable background and moral character like the Dark Enforcers around, is the Vigilante Class a must-have in DCUO?
You can also place Catwoman as an anti-hero also, but she's still considered as a villain. I don't think that placing a Vigilante Class in DCUO is a current necessity right now, although it's a wonderful idea.

Is a Danger Room/Training environment where we can match-up and practice against other heroes (or AI) a necessity?
Most certainly. It gives the player practice and familiarity with their powers before actually fighting the bosses in the game. I'm sure that I'd be likely to use that if they have it. Practicing all my moves and new powers as I progress through the game. All your greatest heroes need a place to practice their skills. I won't be surprised if that's included at launch.

If you could choose an Arch-Rival in DCUO, who would it be?
My Arch-Rival in DCUO would be Black Adam. He's in all way mortal, but in all way he isn't. It would be a great match for me.

Do any members of the Teen League write user-fiction/short stories?
I currently write stories for the team, or at least assist in the writing.

PVP or PVE server, and why?
PVE. I prefer the plot-line of the game and gives me plenty of time to go to point A to point B without being attacked once, other than by the AI villains.

What villain team would you look forward to matching up with in a well-done Guild Wars system?
Any group that I find as offensive towards my team.


What new things would you like to see in Character Customization?
In character customization, I'd like to see more addition to clothing, a brand new coloring system of clothing, and making your character's build more customizable so that one can really have their ideal hero or villain.
We'd certainly have to agree here. The request for Adding Sliders to character build has taken on a life of its own. We didn't think this was as big an issue but the community has spoken on this one. Hopefully this can be added before long.

What Villain group is the biggest threat in DCUO?
Never really considered what villain group are threats right now, but I'll be on the lookout.

Should DCUO have a Sidekick feature where new players can use NPCs or more experienced players as Mentors?
No, there's going to be plenty of teen or young heroes that'll be in the game. It'll just be a hassle to include something like that.

As a favor to Ultima we've decided to run a contest to better prepare the Teen League for launch. We'll be sponsoring an art contest for the three best renders of his character (he'll judge) where the prize will be $10 PS Network Cards. Since they'll also need a website, anyone familiar with setup on freewebs and willing to help them will be rewarded with a featured interview on our blog. Interested parties should PM him for a character description and web setup tutorial. Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree on the guild matches. that would be epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me, Ultima. I'd really liked how this turned out. Plus, I want to know how this contest will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be the first to know. hopefully we'll get more than a few contestants.

    ReplyDelete