Saturday, December 25, 2010

Interview: Frostress


Who could be better on the Christmas issue of SuperHeroHype than the Queen of Ice, herself? Read on for our interview with the superheroine Frostress. Find out why she left the Justice Legion, what she thinks of many of the "newer" superheroes and how The Vanguardians are going to deal with that Braniac ship floating above Metropolis.

"I'm sorry, before we begin..." Frostress clicks on the mic in her ear. "Yes, Charles?" Frostress nods in response. "Can it wait after this interview?" She nods again. "Yeah, I told you that it's with SuperHeroHype, remember?" Frostress looks at the interviewer and mouths, 'I'm sorry.' And continues to nod. "Yes...Okay. I'll call you after this interview." She rolls her eyes. "Goodbye, Charles. I'm sorry about that. That was my boss. He worries about me too much. Not to mention his infatuation for me. Okay, I am ready now."
 
1. Numbers suggest that super-powered individuals are appearing at a number higher than ever before, why?
Frostress sits poised in her seat with her legs crossed. "Yes, there have been. I was living in Norway at the time, but, apparently there is a future Lex Luthor who has traveled back in time to prevent Brainiac's apocalyptic invasion on Earth. And so, with stolen technology, the future Lex has released exobytes into the Earth which have given super powers to hundreds or thousands of civilians. Oh!" Frostress blushes and smiles. "Am I rambling? I'm sorry. Information is sorta my thing."  
 
2. Tell us about your special abilities.
"My abilities are a birth right. It's called 'Ice-Magic'. I can manipulate or manifest cold in any form that best fits the situation." 
 
3. You've been called the premier Norwegian superhero? why is your base of operations in the US?
Frostress tilts her head in confusion. "Well, I would like to clarify that." Frostress takes a moment to clear her throat. "Ice and the Icemaiden were actually the first two Norwegian superheroes. I have followed proudly in their footsteps. As for my base of operations, Norway wasn't the best place for me to be, and so I left. And here I am now." 
4. What are the long-term implications of the recent Braniac Invasion? "I...haven't been able to figure this out. I have so much on my mind." Frostress  breathes in deep. "I am hoping we can rid of Brainiac before we find out. 
 
5. You recently encountered the murderous villain Elysion in your homeland, is he still at large?
"No, thankfully, Powerhouse was able to get him imprisoned again." 
 
6. Recently you left the superhero group known as The Justice Legion, why?
 "Well, I felt there was a lack of enthusiasm in the group. I have come a great distance to be here in Metropolis to help and protect, but I don't think they shared my passion." 
 
7. What made you join The Vanguardians ?
 "They are organized, eager, and they are very great role models for citizens to rely on. I hope to live up to the Vanguardians and what they stand for." 
 
8. How did you and Black Falcon become friends?
 "We were in Justice Legion together. And throughout the period of time we were there, we grew really close. I still keep in touch with her. She is a very dear friend of mine." 
 
9. Could super-powered beings be the next step in evolution for mankind?
She shakes her head slowly. "I hope not. I think the world would become a pile of rubble if people are able to throw fireballs anywhere or crush buildings with their minds."  
 
10. What made you decide to take up life as a superhero?
 Frostress laughs briefly. "Most people aspire to be something great. To make a dent in evil. I am no different." 
 
11. How was it you gained your super-abilities?  
"Well, my powers are a birth right. And the release of the exobytes did not affect my Ice-Magic at all." 
 
12. Explain the significance of "Frostress".
 "In the tribe where I am from, I was known for using ice in the most graceful of ways. It was sort of a nickname, but people called me the 'Mistress of Frost'. And so, after being rewarded my tiara, I honored the nickname that was given by my people and became 'Frostress'." 
 
13. Some would argue that you're a little young to be a superhero, what's your response?
"Well, if I am being mentored by one of the greatest heroes alive, it shouldn't matter what age I am."  
 
14. You've obviously come to encounter loss of life in your profession, how do you cope?
"I haven't actually learned to cope yet. Each and every one of their lives still hang heavy in my heart." Frostress waves her right hand away from her, causing snowy mist to float and circulate around her hand. "Tilgi meg." 
 
15. What's your relationship with Powerhouse of the Justice Legion?
"I am still in good standing with Powerhouse. As a matter of fact,  I spoke to him the other day and he asked how I was doing. He is a good friend of mine." 
 
16. How do you balance your normal life and your hero one?
"I am a hero before I am a '9 to 5' worker. That is why I moved to Metropolis, to become a hero. But if I am not fighting villains, I am definitely behind my desk."  
 
17. With power like yours, hypothetically you could prevent a blizzard, why not use your powers in that fashion?
"My powers work with cold. So yes, I would be able to dissipate a blizzard. But, why would I want to do that? I think less crime happens during blizzards anyway." Frostress smiles and laughs. 
 
18. What's your opinion of Metropolis?
"Metropolis is full of hustle and bustle. I enjoy the city life. A lot more than I have been used to, but it's amazing none-the-less." 
 
19. Many critics have said that masked superheroes shouldn't have police powers, what's your response?
"I think that some heroes know the difference and won't abuse their authority. Besides, isn't that what the Science Police is for?" 
 
20. Who are the biggest villain threats in Metropolis?
Frostress pauses for a moment. "That would have to be Catacomb. I don't want to admit this, but he has broken me and I cannot shake him out of my head." 
 
21. What's your opinion on the numerous unsanctioned superpowered vigilantes? particularly those who take the law into their hands with lethal force?
"Those are especially the ones I aim to bring to justice. They are the most deadly and unpredictable. And I have vowed to bring them down." 
 
22. Man has always wanted to fly, you do it on a whim, is power like that intoxicating?
She laughs. "I never thought about it in that way. Sometimes, it is the scariest thing. If you were to be knocked out of the sky, you have no safety net. But, besides the bad, I still enjoy the wind in my hair." 
 
23. A recent poll suggested the public was split down the middle on the issue of masked heroes, what's your response?
 "So everyone is a hero now? Well, the Earth is in better hands than it ever was before. More help for this Brainaic invasion isn't a bad thing. Not at all." 
 
24. Are you ever concerned your high profile may put your loved ones in danger?
"My loved ones are all safe and sound in Norway. If they wanted to track them down, they'll be facing a tribe of us. All my loved ones are there. Besides one....hmmm....nevermind. Continue."  
 
25. Do you have any relationship with some of the local hero groups?
"No. But, I have encountered and teamed up with some solo heroes including, Private Masque, he is so mysteriously cute. Ringmaster, what lovely woman and strong too. Aglow, she is so sweet you'll have to meet her. Oh and I forgot Tremor. I thought my accent was hard to understand, but I think his is much more rich." 
 
26. What's your ultimate  goal?
"My goal is to bring down all the villains that have wronged in this world. To save innocent lives lost. And to live a happy and successful life." 
 
27. Tell us about the pressure of being a role model to so many.
"I haven't ever thought of myself as a role model. My actions have consequences and I put those into consideration with every choice I make. But, I am flattered and I strive to exemplify that in my every action." 
 
28. You don't wear a mask, why?
"Because I wear something more prominent than any mask can ever be. My tiara is a renowned piece that my tribe in Norway cherish and I wear it proudly."

4 comments: