Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Meeting with Death Drive


Our star reporter, Kristen, was able to land another interview with the normally media shy league, the Coalition. Since becoming one of the many targets on the MFC's most wanted lists, the league has been a little more public with their thoughts, especially those concering the Vigilante Registration Act. Kristen had the chance to sit down with Death Drive, one of the leagues more eloquently spoken members, and discuss some matters he felt were important.

1) Thank you for taking the time to meet with me Death Drive. I know you all don't like to stay in one place too long so I'll get right to it. What happened to you that made you decide to live the life of a vigilante? Your words have often been received on our message boards as, well, poetic. Fighting crime could not have been your first career choice, was it?

"You consider my words to be of poetic device? That is a complement unto itself. I thank you. But no, this is correct. I never set out to become a so-called “vigilante,” no. My life was nothing more than mundane in it’s first advent. I lived fairly, and it was majestic. I had those who I loved. But with a single bullet, it was gone… I was not born with these powers; in fact, you could say that I died to acquire them. Ripped from radiance, I was cut down into obscurity. None know of what I am, all I can say is that I am a product of death, and it was at this brink that I was offered a new authority. You see there is much legitimacy in fables forgotten. There are demons and that is why I have chosen to fight." 


2) Our street sources tell us that you primarily operate in Gotham. Why Gotham and not Metropolis?
"Metropolis is not anemic, you see. It has many who shield it. Corruption is held in reserve to an extent. Gotham is trapped in perpetual night. It is much like the Tides of Sin: trapped in a purgatory of sorts, a miserable oblivion of wickedness and sorrow. There are those who seek to shelter her, as I have, but there several more who prefer to bring blight upon her. This is why I stay."

3) When you first came on the scene in our city, you announced yourself in a rather bold fashion by calling out the Coalition in what seemed like a challenge to combat. We all know that soon after, you joined up with the league but how did the initial meeting go?

"I must admit. That was truly not my intention. They saw me as a fiend, how could I blame them? I look the role. The initial meeting began hostile; I was surround on all ends. I could sense their power even before they arrived as they could mine. I understood the need for vigilance, however I came unarmed as they asked. They in turn, sought to definite alignment. I showed them my conviction and after, acquired their trust." 

4) Why the Coalition? There must be over a dozen hero leagues that frequent Gotham.What made you decide to join them?

"This is true. There are many leagues, but only one Coalition. I read much of what you posted of them, Deacon, Force and the others. I hid in the shadows and watched before I openly came into the ambiguous light."

5) How does your league feel about using lethal force to take down criminals. We know that Force, Private Masque, Aduro, etc. wouldn't hesitate to take a life but we have yet to receive a report about Deacon killing and has also been quoted saying that he doesn't want something like that on his conscious. Does this cause a lot of moral conflict in your league?

"As far as I comprehend, no. We all have our approach. Deacon’s method is dignified. He would find worth in something that chooses not to find it in itself, which is what makes him different, and a further reason I chose the Coalition. I, myself, have yet to see fatal actions on the part of the other members. To take a life is a choice. No matter the soul, it will haunt you. For others, the lingering spirit is but a drug that drives them into a self imposed madness, wanting nothing more than to reach a proverbial high day after day. We are nothing like that."

6) How do you feel about taking a criminal's life?

"I suppose this question loomed in everyone’s mind for some time, with a name such as I. Give me a reason and I shall provide absolution, for I am not the beginning…but I can justly be an end."

7) How do you feel about the VRA? Do your views differ from that of the rest of your league?

"It is pointless. Although I have no real name to register, no alias, I emphasize for the others. They were given a gift to contest the rising dusk of Braniac, but yet there are others that choose to contest us, that wish to bring destruction to the world. I comprehend that there has been collateral damage. I would be a fool to deny it. Furthermore, in such an audacious shift they elect Luther as director? Madness. How could I support it? I have seen many facets of vice, and his is like no other. Moreover, to elect a criminal throng that just days before murdered the lives of innocent people? Why do they paint us with the same brush? You asked me before how I felt about taking a criminal’s life. Those actions justify their end, and I will have no difficulty putting them down…"


A strong statement indeed. Unfortunately, MFC helicopters started honing in on our area and Death Drive felt the need to disperse in order not to cause unnecessary attention before I could ask him any more questions. The interview is definitely enlightening and gives us some more light as to how the Coalition works internally.



4 comments:

  1. Can you say, poetry corner? Lol! Great interview DD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, DD. Now let's go get a drink. I'm thristy for some brewski's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, gentlemen. And a brewski does sound good at the moment, Phipher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to go to an AA meeting, Phipher. Freakin' drunkard!

    ReplyDelete